Isn't it amazing that there's such a place on earth that's only about 270 square miles in size (yes, this includes all the reclaimed land), can't really grow much of anything because the whole island is a rock, is home to about 5 million people and has more than 3,000 restaurants? That's approximately 11 restaurants per square mile!
|A mighty and flavorful little city|
With so many places offering so much food, it's the perfect destination for non-stop eating, drinking, savoring, sampling and tasting. Plus, every type of palate and wallet will find a suitable place: from the lavishly expensive at over $400++ for dinner for one (plus, plus, of course is for all the extra taxes on top of the restaurant price) according to a local blogger
, to the deliciously cheap at just a buck fifty for one of the most famous local delicacies.
Ever since Drea first visited this foreign land back in 2005, it has always remained the best hub in the world for food and every time we visit, it never disappoints. Singapore offers just about every type of food and is the foodie's Shangri-La. Which is exactly why, if we can help it, we always try to make Singapore one of our long connections or short-term destinations when traveling throughout Asia.
So, what's the big deal with food in Singapore? Well, let us count the [eight] ways:
- Thirsty much? Singapore has an amazing selection of tropical fruits so you can grab any type of exotic fruit juice no matter where you are: soursop, lime, mango or kumquat are extremely refreshing. Tea and coffee are great alternatives if you crave a little energy: grab yourself a kopi-o (black coffee), kopi-c (coffee with milk, "c" was originally for Carnation milk in a can) or Eliot's favorite, tea tarik (pulled tea). On a budget? pop into any 7-eleven and grab an iced milo or an unsweetened green tea.
|Tea Tarik with mushroom and cheese roti paratha and fish curry sauce: Breakfast!|
- Love fruit? So do we. In Singapore you can find the most amazing selection of tropical fruits including: the local favorite durian, which we still find repulsive and don't even recommend you try unless you're feeling very, very adventurous, the queen of all fruit, mangosteen, juicy rambutans, lychees and longan (or lamyai), jackfruit (tastes like Starbursts!), jambu which looks like an apple but tastes more like a pear, green guava with powdered plum or the magenta dragon fruit among dozens and dozens of others.
- Breakfast time? Grab yourself a roti paratha stuffed with cheese, potatoes, mushrooms or bananas and dip it in your pick of chicken or fish curry sauce. Or go local and grab a kaya toast set. Kaya is a coconut based jam and you can eat it on seriously buttered toast and dip it in soft boiled eggs with a drop or two of dark soy sauce.
|Kaya toast with chunks of butter|
- On a budget? Two words: chicken rice. For less than $5 dollars, you can snack, lunch or dine on a plate of chicken rice: it's just roasted chicken on top of rice cooked in chicken broth. This national dish is sold at nearly every food court and its simplicity (similar to Italian food!) is what makes it so damn irresistible. Make sure you get it with the special spicy sauce!
|Chicken Rice! Don't forget the sauce!|
- Ready to have your mind blown? Grab yourself a pepper crab! Pepper crab is another national dish: whole crabs are served smothered in an insanely peppery, dark thick sauce that infiltrates every little crevice of the claws, legs and body making the crab meat amazingly juicy and flavorful.
|Peppery pepper crab|
- Ready to have your mind blown again? Three words: Xiao Long Bao (XLB)! Although not a national dish, we were just ecstatic that Singapore hosts Taiwan's famous Din Tai Fung at several locations. For those of you poor souls who have never gone through the XLB experience, make it one of your life's priorities. These dumplings are delicately stuffed with pork and soup. Yes, soup, so that once you bite into them, you experience an explosion of flavor and delight. XLB isn't unique to Singapore by any means but we just really wanted to write about it!
|The XLB experience|
- In the mood for soup? Grab a Laksa! This one is definitely Singaporean (and Malay) and it consists of a thick coconut broth typically served with shrimp, sliced fish cakes, boiled eggs, thick rice noodles and fresh sprouts. This is a heavy one so it's fun to share if you want to keep on eating.
- Want to grab a light snack? Try popiah! This insanely crunchy but non-greasy spring roll is stuffed with fresh veggies, shrimp and dipped in peanut sauce. For a meatier snack, grab some satay. These meat skewers are originally Indonesian but are found everywhere. Enjoy with rice cakes, cucumbers, onions and dip it in spiced peanut sauce. For a more traditional Chinese snack, grab a simple rice bun stuffed with braised, tender juicy pork belly and a lettuce leaf (gotta make it healthy somehow!).
|Pork belly bun|
Believe it or not, we ate every single thing on our list above (and then some more!) during our 48 hour visit to Singapore. Next time you look at a world map, just remember that there is indeed a small country underneath that red dot capital marker where multitudes of lucky visitors and residents experience some of the best variety of quality food the world has to offer.
And then some....
|So lucky our visit coincided with Singapore's food festival!|
|Kwai Tiao - delicious noodles w/oysters|
|Feasting at Din Tai Fung in addition to our 30 XLB order!|
|Did we mention Singaporeans are really friendly?|
|Boiled, soft peanuts|
|Fancy chicken rice with crispy tofu and braised greens|
Que alegria leer estos comentarios de mi hija aventurera .ASi recuerdo nuestro inolvidable viaje a esa maravillosa isla.ReplyDelete
Siempre recordare a ese increible bicicletero que nos llevo hasta el hotel ,creo que ha sido uno de los momentos mas felices que he tenido, recuerdo que no podia contener la carcajada cuando nos hablaba de las diferentes religiones.....
Espero algun dia volver de nuevo acompañada de Alvaro y Laura......
Tan delicioso que fue ese paseo, muy increíbles esos recuerdos!Delete
Do you happen to know any local Singaporean who would cook homemade meals for travelers? The travelers will pay the host.ReplyDelete
Sorry I don't but eating homemade food in Singapore shouldn't be too difficult, some restaurants offer excellent home-made style food!ReplyDelete
Berbicara mengenai mie, ijinkan saya berbagi informasi.ReplyDelete
Bagi pemilik restoran ataupun rumah makan yang memiliki menu mie, mungkin akan kesulitan mencari tray makanan yang tepat agar kuah dari mie tersebut tidak tembus.
Untuk mengatasi hal tersebut, ini saya berikan referensi. Klik di sini.
Your posts are exactly what I am looking for. They are informative and useful. I am able to learn more new things and knowledge. It's good if you upload articles frequently. Thank you for sharing tips and insight.ReplyDelete
sales pop master
sales pop master online
In offices, offices, employees have to work in air-conditioned environment, low humidity, easy to cause dehydration leading to health problems such as kidney disorders, Dry skin, aging skin, reduce blood circulation ... So using pure water purification line for the office is essential to ensure adequate supply of drinking water as well as make proper drinking habit, Improve the health of employees.ReplyDelete
gái gọi, gai goi ha noi, gái gọi sinh viên, gái gọi Phố Cổ - Quán Sứ
It doesn't matter if you are start a added site for bloggers or if you throbbing to make your existing a new special, finding your niche is always the most crucial pension for building and admin a site which will draw to the blogging community currency converter freeReplyDelete
currency converter app download
My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for moreReplyDelete
I just right now wished to let you know about how exactly significantly I actually value all things you have discussed to help enhance life of individuals on this material. Using your articles, I have long gone by means of merely a beginner to a professional in your community. It is really a homage for your initiatives. Thank youReplyDelete
I like the overall feeling and smoothness. That's really a big plusReplyDelete
shopify app free shipping bar
shipping bar app
This pass practice is commonly costly as professional web developers can warfare you each and every share of one from a hundred bucks to thousands of dollars, depending not in the isolate away away off from how perplexing you nonappearance your website to beReplyDelete
email with love free app
email with love download
Thanks for any other fantastic article. Where else could anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect means of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such information.ReplyDelete
iogames for school
friv land now
abcya games for boy
What a fantabulous observe this has been. in no way seen this understandable of beneficial claim. i'm grateful to you and assume more quantity of posts at the side of those. thank you intensely a lotReplyDelete
gái gọi sinh viên, Gái gọi Mỹ Đình - Đình Thôn, gai goi ha noi, gái gọi Nguyễn Khánh Toàn, gái gọi Xuân Thủy
Dynamons evolution games to play
Crayon shinchan adventure games free online
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include
I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort very well. Thanks for the huge help.ReplyDelete
4 player sheep party best online game
Ice cream maker game online
Fire truck crazy race freeReplyDelete
Free unblock the ball
Games princess and adult princess
It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post
I'm a decent implied for all articles or blog entries, That I emphatically relished, We'd to a great degree pick much more records identified with the, because of the reality it is in reality okayReplyDelete
2player best free online games
friv Games to play
io jogos for school
nơi Cesc Fabregas và Andre Gomes từng sinh sống khi họ còn thi đấu cho Barcelona. Fabregas từng được kỳ vọng là truyền nhân của Xavi Hernandez. Trong khi đó, Andre Gomes trước khi gia nhập Barca được xem là tương lai của bóng đá Bồ Đào Nha. Nhưng cả hai tiền vệ này đều gây thất vọng và sớm ‘bật bãi’ khỏi CLB xứ Catalan..link jss77.net, thiên hạ bét lừa đảo, link vào thiên hạ bet, thiên hạ bet mobileReplyDelete
basketball online games
soccer games 2019
I'm a decent implied for all articles or blog entries, That I emphatically relished, We'd to a great degree pick much more records identified with the, because of the reality it is in reality okay
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
The article gives me a lot of useful information, I think it is very necessary for everyone, hope that more people will know your post. This post is very useful, I admire the author, hope you will succeed in the next post, I will continue to follow your post.ReplyDelete
free kizi Games, pbs Games for boys, jogos friv gratis
Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.ReplyDelete
free game online
jogos 4 school online
jogos gratis online
Can anyone pick out for me the best product among those listed on this site? Best Smoker GrillsReplyDelete
Casino Online: What is the Best Casino Online in India?ReplyDelete
Casino online herzamanindir is one of https://access777.com/ the top types of gambling games to enjoy. If you enjoy https://deccasino.com/review/merit-casino/ casino games, we herzamanindir.com/ can help you to wooricasinos.info win big.
Great Article blockchain projects for studentsReplyDelete
IEEE Projects for Engineering Students